SENATE COMMITTEE ON COMMITTEES, SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE EXTEND DEADLINE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE ADVISORY COUNCIL APPLICATIONS
Montpelier, Vt. – The Vermont Senate Committee on Committees and the Speaker of the House are currently holding a public application process to fill seats on the newly formed Environmental Advisory Council and are extending the application deadline from November 14, 2022, to December 5, 2022.
The Environmental Justice Advisory Council was created by Act 154 to provide independent advice and recommendations to State agencies and the General Assembly on matters relating to environmental justice, including the integration of environmental justice principals into State programs, policies, regulations, legislation, and activities. The Council will also evaluate the potential for environmental burdens, disproportionate impacts, or benefits on environmental justice focus populations as a result of State actions.
The 11-member Advisory Council will meet no more than eight times per year, with at least four meetings occurring jointly with the Interagency Environmental Justice Committee. Meetings may be held in person, remotely, or in a hybrid format. The Advisory Council will have the administrative, technical, and legal assistance of the Agency of Natural Resources.
Specifically, the Committee is seeking the following applicants for the council:
• one representative of municipal government
• one representative of a social justice organization
• one representative of mobile home park residents
The Speaker is seeking to the following applicants for the council:
• one individual who resides in a census block group that is designated as an environmental justice focus population.
- A definition of a designated environmental justice focused population and a map of areas in Vermont that meet this criteria can be found here.
• one representative of an organization working on food security issues
• one representative of immigrant communities in Vermont
• one representative of a statewide environmental organization
Applications for the Committee on Committee openings can be submitted at https://ltgov.vermont.gov/COC-Applications.
Applications for the Speaker of the House openings can be submitted at http://speaker.vermont.gov/form/public-application-form.
Applications are due Monday, December 5th, 2022.